Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Sprawling Among Worlds

Wow! It's been such a long time since I've posted. But I still managed to find time to work on my projects. Not a lot of progress, but a few revelations and plot twists. The problem's been that though I have written whatever scenes have come to me, they haven't always been for the same project.

For instance, I've discovered how a homeless character survives during the heat of summer and how another character plans to stand up to her mother. I've explored the streets of 19th century New York City with yet another character. I've also been to a strange and sandy planet with two science fiction characters and have flown over ancient ruins (and across that world's time) on dragon back. I even found myself in the mind of a character who writes horror. (This new short story came to me on Christmas Eve.)

I guess these bits and glimpses of stories shouldn't surprise me; I've been stretched out among various teaching locations all autumn and have gotten used to focusing on one and then switching gears to prep for another group, venue, and age group. As busy as it was, I came  to thrive on the different group dynamics so it seems I would also enjoy the variety among my various writing projects and the different worlds each presents. 

Still, I'll take this progress over none at all.  Whether writing or teaching, neither feels like work. For that I am grateful and plan to continue "sprawling." 

No comments:

Post a Comment